News: Snowbird Game Studios, developers of Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword, have announced Caribbean – a pirate-themed RPG that’ll be built using the same engine.
The Mount & Blade series is a hard game to sell – it’s a bit of an ugly ducking, both in terms of presentation and its clunky and unnatural controls. Once you get to grips with it, though, there’s a rich game to be had, allowing you to charge recklessly into battle swinging your broadsword and dying without even realising what’s happened. That was my experience, anyway.
Now, the developer behind Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword, Snowbird Game Studios, is developing Caribbean, a game which takes the series’ unique charm (if that’s what you want to call it) and puts it into the world of pirates in the 17th Century, offering a robust sea battle system on top of the grounded combat and sandbox-ish RPG gameplay. They won’t be developing it alone, as the creators of the entire Mount & Blade series TaleWorlds Entertainment will also be chipping in. Full features include:
- Sea battles with intuitive and easy control system;
- The real-time boarding fights that throw player in the centre of the action;
- Detailed management and customization of both the fleet and the crew;
- Complex siege system allowing the players to storm forts, harbors or entire cities;
- Different kinds of artillery: shipboard cannons, mortars and howitzers;
- Random events system that keeps players question their decisions during their voyage;
- True ‘Carribean’ atmosphere of the vast and dangerous world;
- Unique NPCs whose design based on the real historical figures;
- Various multiplayer modes featuring the sea and land battles, boarding and sieges.
You won’t be waiting long to get your hands on it, either, as a tentative release date of Autumn 2012 is currently set.